This certification helps individuals show that they have the knowledge and skills for career advancement, and helps organizations identify, hire, and promote motivated and skilled individuals in the workforce. CERT-Certified Computer Security Incident Handlers
- are knowledgeable and skilled in the latest practices in the cyber security field
- produce high-quality results
- have the abilities and skills to help an organization reach its goals
- have completed an industry-leading qualification track
- are committed to a professional code of conduct that separates them from all other practitioners in the field
- ensure that their organizations stay current on recent innovations and research in the computer security field
After completing the certification process, successful candidates may choose to be listed on the SEI website as an SEI-Certified Individual and are entitled to refer to themselves and their accomplishment as in the following examples:
- "(Name) is a CERT-Certified Computer Security Incident Handler."
- "To become a CERT-Certified Computer Security Incident Handler, (Name) has demonstrated knowledge and skills that represent the latest practices in the cybersecurity field."
- "(Name) has earned a Computer Security Incident Handler certification from the CERT Division of the Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon University."
Who Should Get This Credential?
The CERT-Certified Computer Security Incident Handler (CSIH) certification program is intended for computer security professionals with one or more years of experience in incident handling and/or equivalent security-related experience, including
- military, civilian, and contract personnel who handle information systems
- computer network incident handling and incident responder professionals
- computer security incident response team (CSIRT) members and technical staff
- system and network administrators with incident handling experience
- incident handling educators
- cybersecurity technical staff
Although completion of training is not a requirement, we recommend that applicants ensure they have studied appropriately for the examination. Learn more about Fundamentals and Advanced Topics in CSIH course.
Term and Renewal
CERT CSIH certification is valid for a period of three years from the award date and expires the last day of the month in which it was awarded. To renew certification, applicants must be submitted request to firstname.lastname@example.org within 60 days before the last day of the month in which an individual's certification is due to expire:
- CMKL will review your application materials and respond within 2–6 weeks.
- Applicants whose applications are approved receive email from CMKL with approval of their candidacy and instructions for registering for the CSIH exam.
- Applicants whose applications are not approved receive notification with information highlighting areas that need improvement.
- Within 12 months of receiving the approval email from the CMKL, you must register for the CSIH Certification Examination and receive a passing score.
- The proctored exam is available at CMKL University.
- Those who do not pass the exam on their first attempt may schedule up to two additional attempts within 12 months of the initial exam. The standard examination fee applies to each attempt.
- If the applicant does not obtain a passing score in those three attempts, the applicant must request permission to retake the examination by sending a letter to CMKL. CMKL may grant permission to make up to two additional attempts. If these attempts are unsuccessful, applicants must wait 2 calendar years and reapply to CMKL with evidence of further incident handling and/or security experience, training, and knowledge.
- After successfully completing this certification process, you receive your certification diploma and may choose to be listed on the SEI website as an SEI-Certified Individual.
If at any time your performance during qualification is unsatisfactory, CMKL will provide you with feedback and, if necessary, steps for remediation. Contact us with questions about this certification at email@example.com