The role of a business development is primarily to expand a business. Creating and implementing strategies for attracting and retaining new customers, suppliers, and other partners are part of the business development’s job. Thus, breaking a business into new markets, keeping customer relationships strong and pursuing partnerships that will lead to increasingly profitability are key responsibilities of the person in this job. The position is required to conduct a lot of industry research aimed at understanding the niches that a company can establish itself within, and a business development also must know the company’s position among competitors and how best to exploit competitors’ weaknesses.
- Identify potential clients in the target market and complete appropriate research on the prospective client's business and equipment needs.
- Plan and oversee new marketing initiatives.
- Develop relationships with prospective clients, while maintaining existing client relationships.
- Think strategically through seeing the bigger picture and setting aims and objectives in order to develop and improve the business.
- Partner with sales teams to create contract-winning proposals for current and prospective clients.
- Negotiate contract terms with clients and communicate terms to stakeholders.
- Collaborate with design and production teams to ensure contracted product specifications are executed on-time and as agreed.
- Become a subject matter expert on our business products, processes and operations, and remain up-to-date on industry news.
Qualifications and skills :
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in related field
- Demonstrated achievement in B2B sales
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including facilitation of group presentations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access and industry-specific analysis software
- Basic understanding of the industry, with the ability to become a subject matter expert on the job
- Innovation and problem-solving skills that include the ability to develop and propose equipment-based solutions for clients